Growers considering planting durable eucalypts need to be confident that they will be rewarded for their investment.
The strength of our project lies in our strategic scientific approach and multiple partners, backed by our network of trials on a range of land-types, both on farms and in forests. We are:
- running an intensive, long-term genetic improvement programme
- breeding improved eucalypt planting stock of a range of species
- developing growing regimes to suit varied conditions
- researching wood quality and products
- working with regional partners to develop the concept of wood supply catchments centered on future processing industries
- exploring and promoting multiple markets for durable eucalypt timber.
NZDFI aims to make New Zealand home to a valuable sustainable hardwood industry by 2050.